Little River WATERKEEPER®
We all need water that's clean to drink, swim, fish, farm and enjoy.
Help us protect Little River!
Little River is a vital resource for our Mentone and DeKalb County communities. It’s the heart and soul of our thriving tourism and recreation industry. And it’s valuable for irrigating area farms.
As the parent organization to Little River WATERKEEPER®, One World serves the community through education and public awareness. We protect citizen rights to clean, healthy water by monitoring water quality and encouraging reporting pollution concerns to us.
- Follow us on social media to learn about upcoming river cleanups and community events.
- Stay informed on our SwimGuide page or by texting LRWaterkeeper to 84483.
- Report concerns to us at email@example.com or call (256) 516-2877.
Did you know?
- Little River is the only river that runs its entire life on a mountaintop?
- In 1969 Little River Canyon, the southern most section of Little River, received the title of State Wild and Scenic river.
- In 1978 the southern section of Little River was also awarded a place on the National Wild & Scenic River list by the Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service.
- On April 3, 1991, Little River received the title of Outstanding National Resource Water (ONRW), the highest designation a body of water can receive through the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) and the Clean Water Act. This designation was awarded to protect the river from future pollution sources.
At this time, ADEM does not have the capacity to monitor pollution that enters the river, nor has it implemented stipulations on how to manage development on this unique waterway. Therefore, the responsibility for caring for Little River falls on us, the people who depend upon it.